Thursday, 10 November 2011

Context Of Practice/Aesthetics


Aesthetics (also spelled æsthetics or esthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of beauty, art, and taste, and with the creation and appreciation of beauty. It is more scientifically defined as the study of sensory or sensor-emotional values, sometimes called judgments of sentiment and taste.[ More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics



These are my 5 pieces (examples) for 'what is aesthetic to me:

1. Painting 'The burning of the houses of parlament' by Joseph Mallord William Turner 1835. I find it aesthetically pleasing because I have never loved any painting of the sea/water until I saw his painting in the British gallery in London. I couldn't take my eyes of it. It's so perfect, peaceful though dramatical, emotional at the same time.  Nature is the perfection.

Joseph Mallord William Turner (23 April 1775 – 19 December 1851) was an English Romantic landscape painter, watercolourist and printmaker. Turner was considered a controversial figure in his day, but is now regarded as the artist who elevated landscape painting to an eminence rivalling history painting.Although renowned for his oil paintings, Turner is also one of the greatest masters of British watercolour landscape painting. He is commonly known as "the painter of light" and his work is regarded as a Romantic preface to Impressionism.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._W._Turner

 2. Richard C. Elliott. His work is really geometrical, he does a lot of installations.Geometric forms are perfect.


 "My artistic style utilizes light, color and radiant geometric patterns. One of my mediums, industrial grade reflectors, allows me to paint with light. Reflectors are made from the highest quality light translucent acrylic with a diamond pattern in the back that captures light and spins it back out toward its source. I combine this light active medium with two-dimensional geometric designs similar to patterns found from the Arctic Circle to the Amazon jungle. These designs, echoing the patterns within us, have connected people to the living fabric of life since the dawn of time. They create a meditative and instinctive response of harmony. A Reflective Light Painting is an ever-changing          

representation of the fundamental patterns of energy, 
reflecting nature on both the macro and micro levels. "

http://www.reflectorart.com/dick/index.html

My favorite ones are 'Noise Reduction Apparatus' Times Square • New York, NY • 1993-4  and "Reflections On the Columbia" Sponsored by the Pateros Chamber of Commerce • Pateros WA • 1992





















3. Photography 'Last Dance' by Rick Lord. I don't really like this photographer but I have to admit this piece is just incredible. I like the contrast of the picture. the lines. The dance. I find dancing really aesthetically pleasing, I think that's why I chose this picture. And I find dance movement photography really amazing and intimate. 
















4. Posters 'Change the Thought and the feeling must go' and 'We not Me' by  Change the Thought (stored). I couldn't find the actual designer of these posters.  But I love how they use clear type to deliver a message. I find simple, well-organized but colorful typography aesthetic. 





















5. A photographic piece 'Aqueous on the Behance Network' by  Mark Mawsom.  I just love the floating of the lines  it reminds me of a jellyfish. I love how pink and blue works together. I think it's just water-colour in water. But it look lovely. Eye pleasing.



No comments:

Post a Comment