So I realised that for this brief I would like to play on semiotics and if even more specific with linguistics.
I remembered the slide that Fred shown us on one of the first sessions. And it was about how people read words. They don't even have to be written in a right way, all it takes is the first and the last letter of the word to be at the right place and people can easily read it.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So I think I'll chose that path to go with and analyse it more. So as my favourite thing of design principle studies I'll choose the anatomy of type.
Linguistics is the scientific study of human language.Linguistics can be broadly broken into three categories or subfields of study: language form, language meaning, and language in context.The earliest known linguistic activities date to Iron Age India (around the 8th century BC) with the analysis of Sanskrit.
Semiotics, also called semiotic studies or (in the Saussurean tradition) semiology, is the study of signs and sign processes (semiosis), indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication. Semiotics is closely related to the field of linguistics, which, for its part, studies the structure and meaning of language more specifically. Semiotics is often divided into three branches:
- Semantics: Relation between signs and the things to which they refer; their denotata, or meaning
- Syntactics: Relations among signs in formal structures
- Pragmatics: Relation between signs and the effects they have on the people who use them
The line could be either something mathematical ( because line does remind me of all the strange and complicated formulas that we had to learn in school and at least for once in my life I would actually be able to use them in context) or type or a time line would suit
So my path looks like this now: {ANATOMY OF TYPE} Semiotics/ Linguistics ---> Childhood/Toys ---> Time line (would be reasonable and reminds me of a line)
So now I only need to think about the format ----> maybe a fold out booklet (?) I'll do a bit more research into my theory.
Primary research:
(I created a survey to find out what people think and what are their favourite 90's toys)
Primary research:
(I created a survey to find out what people think and what are their favourite 90's toys)
I started looking at different formats so I went to the library to look for books and I found this amazing pop-up book. I think because my theme is toys and childhood it should be really interactive and fun.
The first book that I found is 'One Red Dot' by David A. Carter.
The second book that I found in the library that might help me with the booklet:
'Paper Engeneering' by Natalie Avella











No comments:
Post a Comment