So the 50's. I've already did my research on the 50's but I found the introduction of this book very useful because it explains what the consumers were like and why 50's was such an exiting time for advertising. Apparently as now, than the advertisers used current affairs to sell their products. The 50's was the 'atomic bomb' period. The atomic bomb left americans wondering what the world will be in the future. And trough adopting European modernism the 'future' era began. People wanted to replace anything that was old and buy anything that was new, it was a huge opportunity for companies to develop new products (different looking products, ex. pink hairdryer, pink bath (pink was very popular at one period of the 50's in america, if it wasn't pink - it wasn't cool)) I decided by looking at the book to be more specific and concentrate on AMERICA's advertisement rather than looking at the whole world (which I identify as one of the flaws in my essay.) Apperently in the 1950's automobiles were the higher selling product to add they were ridiculously sized and became longer and longer trough the year. They become 'Redesigned to reflect the era's preoccupation with speed, the new line of cars had sleek styling and lots of chrome' The car became a reflection of the social status, which advertisers used as a selling point and a tool of persuasion.


No comments:
Post a Comment